Candy Corn Cookie Dough Pretzel Bites, by Love, Veggies, and Yoga
- 1/4 c butter (half a stick)
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c flour, approximately (add slowly)
- candy corn
- pretzels for base layer (optional, waffle type works best or use crackers or omit)
- Optional: add chocolate/peanut butter/white chocolate/butterscotch chips to the dough mixture; start with 1/4 c (I did not add them because there was enough going on with the candy corn for me)
Combine room temperature butter (or soften cold butter/margarine in the microwave for 15-30 seconds) with the sugars in a bowl and stir until smooth. I did it by hand in less than a minute. Then add the vanilla extract and then add the flour, slowly, stirring and adding until you reach cookie dough consistency. I used just under 1/2 c flour by a couple tablespoons; use your judgment. Take the cookie dough mixture and roll into 3/4 inch size balls. Insert a piece of candy corn into each ball (or dice 1/4 c candy corn and incorporate it into the cookie dough mixture) and gently mold the dough around the candy corn. Lightly press ball onto a pretzel and set on a plate. You don’t have to add pretzels, or you could top any cracker you enjoy with the cookie dough balls. Note that these are not ultra “secure”. They will stick to the pretzels but not incredibly well so be gentle with them. Store extras in the refrigerator or freezer.
For more info on how to ensure these are made vegan, click here.
Time to start thinking about what I am going to carve into the pumpkins
Coffee Spiked Chocolate Caramel Bars
For the crust:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 graham crackers crushed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- Line bottom of 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Spray paper and sides of pan with cooking spray.
- Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°.
- In a food processor, pulse graham crackers and sugar together. Add melted butter and blend until the mixture forms into clumps.
- Press mixture gently into prepared pan to form an even layer. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool 15 minutes.
For the caramel:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil and cook without stirring until candy thermometer reaches soft ball (240°).
- Pour caramel over graham cracker crust. Cool 20 minutes, then place in freezer for 10 minutes until firm.
For the ganache:
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee, finely ground
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt (optional; if you do not use the smoked sea salt, increase the plain sea salt to 1 tsp total)
- Place chocolate chips and cream into small glass or metal bowl and place bowl over pan with simmering water. Stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in coffee.
- Remove pan from freezer, pour chocolate over caramel layer. and smooth with spatula. Sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Cut into desired sized bars and enjoy!